Thread: Variable Star By Heinlein and Robinson: lost Robert A. Heinlein novel

Sovereign Grand Rossite General rossshow's Avatar
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 465
    Given: 304

Default Variable Star By Heinlein and Robinson: lost Robert A. Heinlein novel

Variable Star By Heinlein and Robinson

"In late August, Slashdot reported that a lost Robert A. Heinlein novel was mere months away from being released.

True enough, it was completed and released on October 18th, 2006 by Spider Robinson, himself a distinguished speculative fiction writer.

On the back cover, John Varley is quoted as saying "Completing a book from notes by a dead author is almost always a mistake. But apparently Robert A. Heinlein isn't really dead. He was at the side of Spider Robinson as he wrote this book."

I'd have to agree. This story is a valuable addition to any speculative fiction collection, even that of a purist Heinlein fan."

Read the rest of Cam's review.

Rossite Archdeacon
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

I loved Heinlein and read everything he ever wrote. (I detested Job, but that was a major exception.)

I loved Spider Robinson and have read almost everything he ever wrote.

I think this one's going to be a must-buy.

Thumbs Up

Yeah. I think so, too.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

A lost Heinlein? (Heinlein provided my introduction to sci-fi and to this day remains my favorite writer in the genre.)

Thumbs Up

A Heinlein/Robinson combo sounds irresistable!

I'll be buying this one.

Thumbs Up

Read it! It was awesome.

A lot of the 1950's era morals that were typical of early Heinlein, but it is explained that Terra has regressed/progressed to a more moral standard over the years, so it doesn't seem out of place.

The wit of Spider Robinson make it irresistable. Worth reading!

Thumbs Up

Wow! I still haven't read it. Need to, and soon....

Thumbs Up
    Given: 28

Smile

My copy is in the mail.

Asimov raped my poor defenseless mind at 12. Love all his work. He wrote some textbooks too. Read one of those, made the subject FUN and easy to understand.

Heinlein made major impacts and changes in the way I thought, and how I dealt with others.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 6

Just got my copy.. looking forward to a good read.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 7

ha - lisa - not so unlike what's going on - uh - now - or - name any other decade - or so - lol - anyway - i'm glad you liked it...

- i'll probably check it out too i like heinlein and also spider robinson...

p.s. altho...ummmm...oh nevermind - i'll save it for another time...maybe...

- well no er yes i will bring it up have any of you read anything about sci-fi and more specifically sci-fi writers being seemingly liberal or whaatever the heck one might want to call it while in reality they are ultra conservative i mean for instance just think of all the authoritarianism and absolutely straight lace uh ism in the star trek universe but that's just the tip of the ice berg anyway i read a book by an old favorite sci-fi writer a couple years back and i swear i got so annoyed at all the preachy stuff that i nearly self combusted in a wretched frenzy of witchy induced guilt...

you will be cursed when you come in and cursed when you go out the LORD will send on you curses confusion and rebuke in everything you put your hand to until you are destroyed and come to sudden ruin because of the evil you have done lalalala okay now let's be friends...

Thumbs Up
    Given: 6

Variable Star...it was fantastic... I loved every minute of it, full of surprises!

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ramonaleona View Post
    i read a book by an old favorite sci-fi writer a couple years back and i swear i got so annoyed at all the preachy stuff that i nearly self combusted in a wretched frenzy of witchy induced guilt...

I know what you mean, Kim. I felt the same way since this is an early manuscript of Heinlein, and his early stuff is very 50's man-dominant fiction with cute little women with 50s values. It can get annoying. But Spider uses that by explaining the changing values of the future. He gets around it nicely without offending and without losing the early Heinlein essence.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 7

yeah...

i like spider robinson - i don't think that i remember ever reading anything by him that annoyed me...

- he's a goodun... :p
    you will be cursed when you come in and cursed when you go out the LORD will send on you curses confusion and rebuke in everything you put your hand to until you are destroyed and come to sudden ruin because of the evil you have done lalalala okay now let's be friends...

Thumbs Up

I think the book that Heinlein wrote that set off the feminists the worst was "Friday". Only a Heinlein Heroine would end up married to her rapist, even if he did let her get up and pee.

Still, Heinlein is one of my all time favorites. Another (fairly) newly released book of his is "Off the Main Sequence", a reprint of many of his early shorts, and while I had read most of them, there are two of them that had not been in print since their original magazine publication in the 1940's.
    TRS#26
    Republicans want the government to be your father, Democrats want the government to be your mother, and libertarians want to treat you as an adult. - from Dr. van der Linden's "Moral Politics"

Rossite Archdeacon
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I'm going to have to give this a look as well. Both are really good writers.

Thumbs Up

Well, I still have not seen a copy of "Variable Star", but I did find a copy of another "lost Heinlein novel" I had never seen, one he had written in 1939 before any of his shorts where written (even prior to "Lifeline") and was rejected every time he tryed to sell it:

"For Us the Living".

Released in 2004, it has an introduction by Spider Robertson, but unlike "Variable Star" it is virtually word for word straight from the original Heinlein manuscript, and was the first novel length story he wrote. Perhaps not quite as smooth as his later novels (It was just a little harder to read, took me 5 evenings when I can sometimes knock out a book of that lenght in two), it was none the less worth reading. It covers the period from 1939 thru 2086 and events that happened in "Coventry", "If this goes on...", and "The Roads Must Roll" are mentioned makinig it (except for one small detail that I saw) fit right in with the "Future History" series.

Anyway, if you have not seen it it's worth a look.
    TRS#26
    Republicans want the government to be your father, Democrats want the government to be your mother, and libertarians want to treat you as an adult. - from Dr. van der Linden's "Moral Politics"

Thumbs Up
    Given: 28

I thought Variable Star was a good read. Read one recently called The Number of the Beast.

Gets pretty fun near the end as he drags a few caracters from his other books into it.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 50
    Given: 173

I loved Heinlein, hey ground pounders he was in the Navy.
    I paid and I voted.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 140
    Given: 241

I have found Harry Turtledove. He's no Thomas Harris, but pretty good.
    Democrats - party of secession, history revision, and obstructionism.

Thread Information