(http://www.otwa.com/community/showthread.php?t=24761)

magna5 Jan-29-05 11:04 AM
What do you put in your meatloaf?

I'm looking for new ideas.

Jobet Jan-29-05 11:18 AM
I don't have a recipe for this, but my famiy has always loved it. I make a normal meatloaf recipe-we use ground organic beef and turkey, fresh bread crumbs, an egg, onion, garlic, etc. Then I add sour cream into the mix. I bake as usual. About ten minutes before it is done I mix up catsup and brownsugar to taste and coat the top of the meatloaf with the mixture then return to the oven for those last few minutes or until the topping is hot but not browned, has to be watched carefully as catsup burns easily.

dmhcollectibles Jan-29-05 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobet
I don't have a recipe for this, but my famiy has always loved it. I make a normal meatloaf recipe-we use ground organic beef and turkey, fresh bread crumbs, an egg, onion, garlic, etc. Then I add sour cream into the mix. I bake as usual. About ten minutes before it is done I mix up catsup and brownsugar to taste and coat the top of the meatloaf with the mixture then return to the oven for those last few minutes or until the topping is hot but not browned, has to be watched carefully as catsup burns easily.
oooooooooohhh sounds YUM!
:wave:

maison rustique Jan-29-05 11:58 AM
Barb, here's one that I posted a while back. I've been thinking about it lately--I need a meatloaf fix!http://www.otwa.com/community/showthread.php?t=19691

Betty Jo, that sounds :tasty:

Jobet Jan-29-05 12:06 PM
Oooooohhhh Bev,

That made me drool just reading it! Anything with Italian sausage has got to be good!! My Italian daughter-in-love will definitely like that one! Couldn't find a drooling smilie so settled for a dancing carrot! :carrot:

How odd! I just noticed the carrot starts dancing and then stops! What is up with that?

sadie999 Jan-29-05 01:56 PM
I always use an egg or two, but sometimes leave out the bread crumbs. (Lower carbs and calories.) Then add any or a combo of:

Tomato or cream of mushroom soup
Tomato sauce
Onions
Mushrooms
Salsa
A package of dry pesto sauce
Peppers
Soy sauce and chopped water chestnuts
Five spice seasoning
Parmesan cheese
Olives and feta cheese

Actually, almost anything is fair game.

Almost forgot. If I have left over rice, I'll sometimes use that in a meat loaf also.

Peace,
Sadie

larruone Jan-29-05 02:27 PM
A classic with a bit of zing...

THE LOAF:
Ground beef
Bread crumbs
1 egg
diced onion 1/3 cup
diced green pepper 1/4 cup
3 TBSP Worchestershire sauce
1 TBSP garlic powder
1 tsp Hot Sauce (or more...)
1 tsp Seasoned Salt
1 tsp Pepper
1/4 cup catsup or ketchup

Large Dill pickle, cut into 6 or 8 spears.
Press these into the top of the loaf widthwise.

I like to mix the ingreds and let it sit for 1/2 hour or so
so everyone gets to know each other.

THE TOPPING:
1/2 cup catsup
3 TBSP Worchestershire
1 Tsp Hot sauce
1 Tsp Powdered Mustard
Liberal shake seasoned salt

Mix well and let sit.

Bake loaf for 1 hour at 350. Then cover with topping and bake another
15 minutes. You can crank the heat to 425 if you want a glazed top.

Momelie Jan-29-05 03:50 PM
I use ground round and then add oatmeal, an egg, a can of tomato soup, parmesan cheese, worcestershire sauce, a little seasoned salt, a little milk, and then I put some bacon slices criss crossed on top to cook it. Sometimes top with homemade BBQ sauce, sometimes not.

My mother makes the world's best meatloaf, and no matter how hard I try, I can't duplicate it, even with her written and telephoned instructions! She makes hers in a covered electric skillet, and puts the meat in the middle, and puts chunked potatoes and green beans around it, and puts dabs of butter around for moisture. Its crispy on the bottom, and the flavor of the veggies is just to die for.... and I can't figure it out for anything! Sigh...

maison rustique Jan-30-05 06:07 PM
This one is on my list to try. Bristol Farms is a gourmet market near here, so that's what the references are to Bristol Farms products--make appropriate substitutions.

Provence Meat Loaf

Ingredients:

1/2 lb Bristol Farms Applewood Smoked Bacon, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
1/2 brown onion, diced small
1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
1/2 lb sliced shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1/2 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
1 large gala apple, peeled, cored & diced
2 lbs Bristol Farms 22% ground beef
2 large eggs
1/2 lb Roquefort cheese, crumbled
1 cup fresh sourdough bread crumbs
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme
1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
1 tablespoon grated Reggiano Parmigiano

Method:

1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Heat a heavy bottom sauce pan over medium heat, add bacon and cook until browned and cooked through. Using a slotted spoon remove cooked bacon and set aside. Pour bacon drippings into a measuring cup.
3. Pour 2-3 tablespoons of bacon dripping back into the heavy bottom sauce pan, return to heat add onions, mushrooms, garlic, kosher salt and pepper. Sauté until vegetables are cooked through, adding more bacon drippings if necessary. Add diced gala apples and sauté until tender. Remove vegetable and apple mixture from heat and chill.
4. In a large bowl mix ground beef, cooked bacon, sautéed vegetables, apples, eggs, Roquefort, bread crumbs and fresh herbs just until well combined. Do not over mix.
5. Place mixture into a 12 x 5 loaf pan, press down gently and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Bake meat loaf for 1 hour or until internal temp of 140 degrees. Remove meat loaf from oven and let rest in pan for 10- 15 minutes.
6. Pour off fat from loaf pan. Invert meat loaf onto platter and slice.

Flutterbees Jan-30-05 11:35 PM
I use lean ground beef, eggs, catsup, worschester (sp?) sauce (or A-1), salt. pepper, garlic powder, chopped onion, then (any or all) bread crumbs, oatmeal, crumbled crackers.
When it's almost done I put catsup on top & allow to finish cooking.

Good hot from the oven, or as cold sandwiches. (YUMMY!) :tasty:

Hazel

Whitey Ford Jan-31-05 02:50 PM
I was inspired by you guys to make a meatloaf tonight!

I threw an onion, green pepper and carrot into the food processor, then threw that in a bowl w/ground beef, egg, A-1 type sauce, katsup, sour cream, parsley, bread crumbs, garlic and ground black pepper. I didn't add any salt, because the flavored breadcrumbs have tons of salt already in them.

maison rustique Feb-02-05 09:19 AM
I made the Provence Meatloaf last night. Two thumbs up!! :tasty:

I used extra lean beef and dried shiitake mushrooms that I soaked in water. Rather than cook the meatloaf in a loaf pan, I put it in a larger baking dish with potatoes, carrots and onions around it. Then poured some of the mushroom liquid over. Cut down on the fat and was really good!

Cassie Feb-02-05 01:16 PM
My hubbies favorite is my Italian meat loaf. I make a general meatloaf of both ground beef and sausage and add basil, oregano and parsley to taste. I put half the meat into the loaf pan, then put a layer of motzarella cheese, seal it with the rest of the meat and top it with pizza sauce.

FLvamp Feb-04-05 04:03 PM
Oh wow, you have to try Martha Stewart's Meatloaf 101. DH hated ML (I guess his Ma nevah could pull it off) until I made Martha's. It's da bomb!

I'm off to find a link or something ...

FLvamp Feb-04-05 04:39 PM
Martha's Meatloaf

Ok, I found the recipe posted. I also added some hints of my own in bold.

MEATLOAF 101 (Martha Stewart)

Serves 6
Use your hands to mix ingredients. I use latex gloves. Do not over-mix. Combine just enough to evenly distribute and shape. Use the combination of 3 meats, or just 12 oz pork and 12 oz beef. Use the fresh breadcrumbs, not dry (they make the loaf rubbery). For moist loaf, use fresh vegetables. Cooking loaf free-form makes a flavourful roasted crust.

3 slices fresh white bread
1 large carrot, cut into 4 pieces
1 celery stalk, cut into 4 pieces
½ med yellow onion, roughly chopped
3 garlic cloves, smashed
½ cup fresh flat leaf parsley
½ cup, please 4 Tblsp ketchup
3 Tblsp dry mustard
8 ounces each ground pork, ground veal, ground beef (I use sirloin)
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper (try McCormick's peppercorn medley)
1 tsp Tabasco sauce, or to taste
½ tsp chopped fresh rosemary, plus more for sprinkling (don't use dried here, the fresh really makes a difference)
2 Tblsp packed dark brown sugar

Optional topping, I don't use this on mine
1 Tblsp olive oil
1 small red onion, cut into ¼" thick rings

Preheat oven 400F. Remove crusts from bread. Place in food processor. When fine crumbs form, about 10-15 seconds, transfer to a mixing bowl. (Do not use dried crumbs, they will make meat loaf rubbery). Place carrot, celery, yellow onion, garlic and parsley in bowl of food processor. Pulse until vegetables are minced, about 30 seconds, scraping down the sides of the bowl once or twice.

Transfer to bowl with breadcrumbs. Add ½ cup ketchup, 2 tsp dry mustard, pork, veal, beef, eggs, salt, pepper, hot sauce, rosemary. Using your hands, knead the ingredients JUST until thoroughly combined, about 1 minute. Do not over-knead. This will result in a heavy, dense loaf. The texture should be wet, but tight enough to hold a free form shape. Set a wire baking rack in a 12x17" baking pan. Cut 5x11" piece of baking paper and place over the centre of the rack to prevent the meat loaf from falling through. Using your hands, form an elongated loaf covering the baking paper. Place the remaining ketchup, remaining mustard and brown sugar in a bowl. Mix until smooth. Using a pastry brush, generously brush the glaze over the loaf.

Optional topping instructions
Place the oil in med saucepan, set over high heat. When the oil is smoking, add the red onion. Cook, stirring occasionally until the onion is soft and golden in places. Add 4½tbl water and cook, stirring until most of the water has evaporated. Transfer the onion to a bowl to cool slightly, then sprinkle the onion over the meat loaf.

Bake 30 mins, then sprinkle rosemary needles on top. Continue baking until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the centre of the loaf registers 160F, about 25 mins more. Let the meat loaf cool on the rack, 15 mins. This allows it to set up a bit, and slice much better. Serve.

Really good the first night, superb for meatloaf samiches. Reheats very well, and freezes well up to 2 months. :tasty:

hennypenny Feb-05-05 07:25 PM
My mother used a standard ground beef and pork recipe with catsup glaze and it was tasty. Sometimes she buried a row of large fresh mushrooms, with short stems, lengthwise in the center of the loaf. When it was cut each piece had a mushroom slice in the middle and that gave a different flavor.

henny

lilycakes Feb-05-05 07:29 PM
FLvamp, by FAR the very, very best meatloaf I ever tasted combined the pork, veal, and beef and I only ever had it once but it remains solid in my memory as the best. That was years before Martha hit the scene and I thank you for the recipe as now I have a footing to try making it myself.

(Now the question is just WHERE do I find gournd veal?)

FLvamp Feb-06-05 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilycakes
Now the question is just WHERE do I find gournd veal?
The butcher or local grocery meat person should grind whatever you like. You may even find it in your meat case. I've only made it once with the veal for comp'ny - veal is just too much for me on many issues. It definitely made a difference, the texture and taste.