(http://www.otwa.com/community/showthread.php?t=44557)

maison rustique Sep-09-06 09:20 AM
Can you freeze smoked salmon (lox)?

I over-bought and hate to waste it. I'm guessing the quick answer is yes, but what I really want to know is can you freeze it without degrading the taste/texture? Anyone tried it?

And just to clarify, I'm talking about the "wet" smoked salmon AKA lox and not the drier shelf-stable vacuum-packed stuff.

:wave:

Tina69 Sep-09-06 09:21 AM
mmmm...Just send it to me..I've got the bagels & cream cheese ready.

indyattic Sep-09-06 09:59 AM
I'm the right person to ask about this. Yes, you can freeze it, but it will be mushier when you defrost it.

maison rustique Sep-09-06 12:53 PM
Thanks, Indy!

Tina, I don't imagine it would taste very good by the time it got there!

indyattic Sep-09-06 01:47 PM
Well, you *could* pack it in dry ice and ship it Fed Ex overnight....

Tina69 Sep-09-06 02:32 PM
I like the way you think Indy..

Irene Sep-09-06 04:05 PM
I always buy frozen smoked salmon. It's fine when I defrost it.

If you're freezing fresh smoked salmon though, be sure it hasn't been previously frozen.

maison rustique Sep-09-06 04:13 PM
I just finished putting together my appetizers. I don't have nearly as much left as I thought I would. I'll probably just use it up over the next day or so. DH has a couple of dinners out this week, so it sounds like the perfect time to have a smoked salmon omelet or something. :tasty:

Thanks again to you all!! Irene, that didn't occur to me. I'm fairly certain it's fresh, but I'll check! Thanks!!:wave:

indyattic Sep-09-06 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene (Post 420561)
I always buy frozen smoked salmon. It's fine when I defrost it. If you're freezing fresh smoked salmon though, be sure it hasn't been previously frozen.
Have you ever tried fresh? I think there's a difference between fresh and frozen. Salmon is yummy regardless though.

(appetizers??? and we're invited to where when???)

Irene Sep-09-06 04:54 PM
Yes, I've had fresh smoked salmon a number of times at snazzy hotel social gatherings and it didn't taste much different than the frozen salmon I like to buy. I've also bought fresh smoked salmon that has not nearly as good texture or taste-wise as the frozen packages I've bought.

I do notice that the taste/texture of the frozen salmon varies according to brand and where the salmon is from. Some are excellent and some not so good.

Price is usually a good guide to quality.

I do find that fresh salmon which has not been smoked is much superior in taste to frozen non-smoked salmon I've bought.

maison rustique Sep-09-06 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyattic (Post 420568)
Have you ever tried fresh? I think there's a difference between fresh and frozen. Salmon is yummy regardless though.

(appetizers??? and we're invited to where when???)
Dove Canyon, CA at 6 pm. I think you'll need to hurry! The host is a sales rep (and his wife) trying to get DH's company's ad business. I have no idea what else we're having, but I offered to bring an appetizer, so made baguette (French bread) slices spread with English Devon Double Cream butter* and lemon juice, sprinkled with a few capers, slice of smoked salmon, shreds of red onion and sprigs of dill.

*I'm sure I'll have gained 5 lbs. by tomorrow, just based on the butter. :nono:

My neighborhood isn't faring as well. Tomorrow is the community's annual wine & cheese party. I bought some hummus and pita chips. :o I just couldn't see putting out expensive smoked wild salmon when there will be little kids grabbing everything in sight and then throwing it on the ground because it looks funny. :ignore:

ricketylin Sep-10-06 11:48 PM
Hi Deb, I always freeze smoked salmon, and I notice that it crumbles more easily than fresh smoked. I usually use the crumbles in a dip, or on pizza, instead of anchovies, saving the larger pieces for other things. It's salmon season here now, and my dad and brothers keep me in fresh salmon. I freeze enough during the season to last until the next season. They also smoke big batches of it.

Lin