Thread: Alternative Brownies

Rossite Priestess Maison Rustique's Avatar
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 2

Default Alternative Brownies

I haven't tried these recipes yet, but intend to. The first recipe is from Heidi Swanson's blog--I think it's called 101 Cookbooks. I'm too lazy right now to look for a link. I'm not sure where the second version is from.

Amazing Black Bean Brownie Recipe

For those of you who have a hard time tracking down agave nectar (which is becoming much more readily available) substitute honey 1:1 for the agave nectar. Ania's head notes encourage you to keep these brownies in the refrigerator, they will slice much better if refrigerated several hours or preferably overnight. I used instant coffee this time around, but you can find natural coffee substitute at many natural food stores.
    4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
    1 cup unsalted butter
    2 cups soft-cooked black beans, drained well (hs: canned is fine)
    1 cup walnuts, chopped
    1 tablespoon vanilla extract
    ¼ cup (granulated) natural coffee substitute (or instant coffee, for gluten-sensitive)
    ¼ teaspoon sea salt
    4 large eggs
    1½ cups light agave nectar
    Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line an 11- by 18-inch (rimmed) baking pan (hs note: or jellyroll pan) with parchment paper and lightly oil with canola oil spray.

Melt the chocolate and butter in a glass bowl in the microwave for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes on high. Stir with a spoon to melt the chocolate completely. Place the beans, 1/2 cup of the walnuts, the vanilla extract, and a couple of spoonfuls of the melted chocolate mixture into the bowl of a food processor. Blend about 2 minutes, or until smooth. The batter should be thick and the beans smooth. Set aside.

In a large bowl, mix together the remaining 1/2 cup walnuts, remaining melted chocolate mixture, coffee substitute, and salt. Mix well and set aside.

In a separate bowl, with an electric mixer beat the eggs until light and creamy, about 1 minute. Add the agave nectar and beat well. Set aside.

Add the bean/chocolate mixture to the coffee/chocolate mixture. Stir until blended well.

Add the egg mixture, reserving about 1/2 cup. Mix well. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Using an electric mixer, beat the remaining 1/2 cup egg mixture until light and fluffy. Drizzle over the brownie batter. Use a wooden toothpick to pull the egg mixture through the batter, creating a marbled effect. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the brownies are set. Let cool in the pan completely before cutting into squares. (They will be soft until refrigerated.)
    Makes 45 (2-inch) brownies.
    Reprinted with permission from Baking With Agave Nectar: Over 100 Recipes Using Nature’s Ultimate Sweetener by Ania Catalano. (Ten Speed Press 2008)

Vegan Black Bean Brownies

1x 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
    3 tablespoons vegetable oil
    4 tablespoons cocoa
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    ¾ cup sugar
    2 bananas
    ¼ cup apple sauce (I chopped an apple and microwaved it until mushy)

Put all ingredients into the food processor and whizz. Meanwhile line an 8" x 8" tin with baking paper. Pour the batter into the tin and bake at GM5 for 30 mins until a cocktail stick comes out clean. Leave to cool and then turn out onto a rack and peel the paper from the brownies.

Straight from the oven they are very very soft and squidgy but will firm up when cooled.
    Deb
    “Life is an endless struggle full of frustrations and challenges, but eventually you find a hair stylist you like.”― Author Unknown

Thumbs Up
    Received: 194
    Given: 108

I'm going to have to make these for my husband.

What does it mean to bake at GM5? Anyone know?

Thumbs Up

That would be Gas Mark 5, which is a British setting, I believe. It is moderately hot and would translate to 375 Fahrenheit. If Miv checks in, she might adjust that, but I'm fairly certain it's close.

I still haven't made them. I've got a big dinner with the Commanding General in a few weeks and bought a new dress which I need to keep away from brownies in order to be able to wear.

Edited to add that the cocktail stick would be a toothpick.
    Deb
    “Life is an endless struggle full of frustrations and challenges, but eventually you find a hair stylist you like.”― Author Unknown

Thumbs Up
    Received: 194
    Given: 108

Thanks, MR. I won't tell my husband about the beans until after he tastes the brownies.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 0

GM5 is theoretically 375 F, but you may need to fiddle. My stove has British gas marks but it's a little slow so on mine GM5 is only 350 F. (I have an oven thermometer as backup and I go by that.)

Thumbs Up

When it said "alternative", I thought the recipes would contain something a tad more herbal...

Nothing is worth more than this day. ~Goethe

Thumbs Up

I think Nobs is famous for "really good brownies," Twig. Maybe she'll contribute a more "herbal" recipe.

Thumbs Up

It would be nice to see Nobs, whether she brings brownies or not.

When she gets here, I'll put on a pot of coffee...
    Nothing is worth more than this day. ~Goethe

Thumbs Up
    Received: 87
    Given: 45

Lowfat Brownies

1 pkg Devil's Food Cake Mix
    1 15oz can Pumpkin

preheat oven according to cake mix box. spray 13 x 9 pan with cooking spray

Mix devil's food mix with pumpkin. Add water if having difficulty get everything to mix together.

Spread into pan and cook according to cake mix package directions.

Let cool, then slice to make 28 evenly sized brownies.

In the words of Rachel Ray - "YUMMO!"

Nutrition information:
    82 calories
    1.75gr fat, .64gr sat.fat.,
    0gr chol.
    159mg sodium,
    16gr carbs, 1gr fiber, 9gr sugar,
    1.1gr protein,
    44.6% vitamin A
    2.75% calcium
    .25% vitamin C
    4.78% iron.

Thumbs Up

TL, that sounds great--I've gotta try it!!
    Deb

Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 1

All these sound yummy!

On the gastric bypass board I'm on they have some dessert recipies made with black beans. The folks that have made any of them say they are good to fabu....and of course the protien from the beans is great for us gastric bypass folks-& ANYONE in general!

so did anyone try any of these recipies?
    Cat's regard people as warm blooded furniture

Thumbs Up

Well, I must confess that I didn't try any of them and I guess that's because I forgot all about them! Now that you brought them back to my attention, I'll do my best, though it may be a couple of weeks before I get a chance. I've got a couple of super-busy weeks ahead of me.
    Deb

Thumbs Up
    Received: 140
    Given: 241

What's blue and comes in brownies?

Cub Scouts.
    Democrats - party of secession, history revision, and obstructionism.

Thread Information